31 March 2011

Five Things


A few weeks ago, Eva at Four Leaf Clover and Cailin at A White Picket Fence tagged me with the stylish blogger award. Several months ago, Elizabeth at Rosalilium and Zaira at Inspiration Crush also tagged me with the same award. I figured it was about time I got my act together and followed the rules. I'm supposed to thank the people who gave me the award (thanks ladies!) and then share five things about myself with all of you. Here goes.

1). I have a small tattoo depicting the comedy/tragedy masks on my lower back. The tattoo is about the size of a quarter: I drew the design myself an hour before getting it done six years ago in Greenwich Village. Theater has always played a significant role in my life and at the time, was something I seriously wanted to pursue. I don't regret the decision to get the tattoo precisely because of that significance. (The mask in the photo above is actually a Swarovski-encrusted pin given to me by my dad when I was in high school. Everyone in my immediate family has ties to theater/performing in some way).


2). I don't have many vices, but fruit gummies are definitely one of them. In fact, I've eaten entire boxes in one sitting before. I rarely buy them because of my lack of self-control. Last night, I bought a single pack from a news stand on Broadway so I could take a picture for this post. I cannot adequately express how difficult it was for me to refrain from eating them until I got home.


3). I majored in American studies and minored in Philosophy in college. Social justice was--and still is--extremely formative in defining my studies and my life. Analyzing it through the lens of some of the world's most profound thinkers shaped a great deal of who I am and what I believe today. (Photo: my rare edition, complete works of Marcel Proust).


4). While I don't belong to any organized religion, I consider myself a deeply spiritual individual. Moreover, I am always interested in learning about various facets of religion and the role it plays in societies around the world. I respect people who can talk about faith and religious beliefs without judgement or agenda. (Photo: my happy Buddha candle and antique miniature chair on the 2nd floor landing).


5). Breton-striped shirts are my number one fashion staple. I own more than I care to admit but have zero qualms about it because I feel instantly stylish and comfortable whenever I put one on. I'm also quite loyal to red lipstick and simple gold jewelry. I'll choose classic over trendy any day.

Well, there you have it. I'm supposed to pass the award along by tagging five people, but I don't think I'm capable of choosing. So, if you're reading this, consider yourself tagged. I'd love if you played along and left a comment telling me something about yourself.

(all images my own)

12 comments:

  1. Ok, you know I am drooling over your rare Proust works!! We have a lot in common Kayla...I'm bummed I won't be making it to NYC to meet you in person, but we'll make it happen at some point I hope. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if I didn't already know it, this post only confirms that you and I are going to get on splendidly once I get back to NYC. I have the theater background too. And philosophy. And I love gummies. I just pretty much found myself say "me too!" to almost everything you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you did this post! : ) You're quite the stylish blogger to get so many awards! Just goes to show how well loved you are in the blogging community and for good reason!

    I especially loved your #4! And I really like your shirt... I can see why those shirts a fashion staple of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was such a great way to get to know you! it also shows how much we have in common, and it's so sad we live an entire country apart. i couldn't agree more with what you said about spirituality. i don't belong to any organized religion either, but i also am extremely interested in spirituality and learning from all cultures. it's so rare that i find other people who feel the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea!

    I'm all with you on the stripes! I have multiple versions and love them because I think they visually reduce my height (yes, I am one of those who want to be a couple of inches shorter).

    I think books also make the list. I've been a bookworm since I was a child and at 4th grade I had memorized most of the ancient Greek mythology (yeah, a highly useful thing!). And I think I was the only one in high school who read (and loved) classic Brittish literature! A line of books on the shelf makes me so happy!

    Another thing that makes me happy is "doing something with my hands". It could be anything from origami and beading, to cooking and handwriting letters. (Typing doesn't count....) It soothes me, even if the result is not that good:)

    I also need very close personal relationships to thrive. Ideally, it's a significant other but it can also be a best friend or a roommate. I never had tons of friends but prefer to get those few close ones who understand me. I've found my soul mate, so at least I'm set in that department:)

    And the last thing that defines me is my family. We are a very tiny family but I love every one of them dearly. I love my parents for raising me the way I am and I hope I can raise my future kids just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to give you 1,000,000 hugs.

    First, I also had a small, significant tattoo on my lower back (a cherry blossom) that I got when I was very young (16-whoops!) which I don't regret a bit.

    Two, I have ordered 5, 10, 15 lb tubs of gummi smurfs from Germany, because they don't sell them in the States.

    And three, because I love a striped t, a red lip and classic gold jewelry.

    xoxoxoxoxoxo, Lena

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your 5 things, Kayla. I'm going to do this next week when I'm lounging on the couch, recovering from surgery. Now to think of five interesting things about me. Hmmm...

    I love stripy shirts too. So classy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breton striped shirts are my favorite! Love learning more about you Kayla -

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I do adore a Breton tee. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Striped shirt, red lipstick, and simple gold jewelry - love!! I see your elephantine ring : ) I neeeed to get one already. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for commenting and sharing your own "facts." I love learning more about my blogging pals!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.