30 March 2011

Never Apologize For Your Enthusiasm


Last night, I blasted my very favorite pump-up songs and danced around the kitchen while belting into a giant metal spoon. Nothing especially exciting had occurred to affect my mood. I just felt joyous. Exuberant, even.

The topmost image is a newly-framed art print hanging in the bedroom. I bought it from the shop of one of my dear blogging friends, artist and film-maker, Kimia Kline. It makes me happy. I snapped the second photo when I was slicing fruit for breakfast earlier this week. The fruit was pretty, but it was the pink stain it left on the cutting board that caught my eye.

I've been thinking a lot about little moments such as these, and how significant they can be. Sort of like this nugget of wisdom I read on Twitter the other day: "Nothing wrong with loving the crap out of everything. Never apologize for your enthusiasm." (Thanks, Ryan Adams).

Sometimes I need to remind myself that happiness doesn't need to be justified.

P.S. My pump-up songs of choice, in case you were wondering: One, Two, Three, Four. (And no, I won't ever apologize for loving the hits, either).

16 comments:

  1. Haha... love this story and your pump-up songs (and that you shared them)! : ) This whole post together makes an image of you dancing, dressed like the woman in painting, cutting fresh fruits in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You go girl!

    btw - fruit looks delish - off to check out that shop and the music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you were singing into a spoon in your kitchen those really are the best moments of all. I have to agree nothing wrong with loving the crap out of everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those silly singing-into-the-spoon moments are the best. They make life memorable. We should never apologize for our enthusiasm or joy in life. I say, turn that music up and dance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it, good for you!!! I say when you feel fabulous never question it, just go with it. My husband always knows when I'm having a fantastic day (usually for no particular reason) when he comes home on a random weekday and I'm waiting with cocktails and some ridiculous four course meal. Little parties for two (or one for that matter) are the best, especially if there is spoon singing =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was kind of doing the same thing last night with my iPod on. It makes chore more fun =) Love the picture!

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Em, I completely agree. Tiho doesn't know what hit him when I make dinner (he usually handles dinner around here). When I do it, wine, fancy plates and mood music usually make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true...happiness does not need to be justified...love those moments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is perfect, as are your pump up songs, and Kimia's piece in your bedroom! I got a giggle at your breakfast-that's my go-to meal before morning auditions, because the beta blocking banana helps nerves! Apparently we even eat alike!

    xo, Lena

    ReplyDelete
  10. UMMM. best post ever? Maybe? You totally just made my day. The print just looks like it belongs there. :) Thank you for all the love my dear. It is totally reciprocated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hooray for dance parties of one :-) although his name is beyond absurd, i can't help but love that flo rida song!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful post! I can totally see you, dancing around your kitchen, belting out the tunes into your wooden spoon/microphone... Love those moments of pure joy! I say relish them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kayla, thank you for saying this! I definitely agree!! Sometimes I catch myself- but you're right, we don't need to apologize to anyone! That print is lovely, I'm going to check out her shop. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, those moments are some of the best in life - a good sign that you're present enough to notice the pink!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.