29 March 2011

Melange Photography







Over the weekend, I discovered the portfolio of Mary Schannen of Melange Photography, and got lost for hours. Hours. The light-drenched, dreamy quality of her photographs transports me to another world. I get this incredibly visceral feeling when I look at her images: I immediately think of my own students, because this is precisely how I see them. Not literally of course, but in that same sort of magic light.

If you are interested in learning more about her services (based in Texas), visit her portfolio and her blog. I reached out to ask permission to feature these photos and we ended up exchanging a bunch of emails: suffice it to say, she is a complete sweetheart. She also informed me that Ginny Felch, the acclaimed author of Photographing Children, and one of her photography mentors, is in the process of writing a revision to her book and will be including some of Mary's work as well as the work of other talented photographers in the updated edition (expected release: August 2011). In her words, "the book is geared towards those just beginning in photography, or for moms who want to learn more about taking nicer photos of their own children."

I'm going to hold out a few more months so I can order myself one of the updated copies. One thing's for sure, though: When I have my own children someday, I know exactly who I'm booking to document their buoyancy and spirit. We just may have to take a little trip to Texas, first...

22 comments:

  1. Those photos are beautiful! And you must be an amazing teacher to see your students that way. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suffice to say, this lady has some serious talent. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the way that she captures the light that make these so perfect, I think. They have that dreamy, youthful quality to them. I love that you think of your students like this. I think of all those I've worked with in this way too. I really miss working with kids. Teaching college students just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how dreamy all your photographs are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous photos! I love the airy, light quality to them...so beautifully whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree with you more about Mary's exquisite eye and sensitivity. She really does stand out above and beyond so many photographers. I see photography as "painting with light," and Mary is a master! It makes me very happy to see her work featured and praised, as it so deserves. Thank you, as well, for mentioning my book!
    Ginny Felch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I love the one with the kid launching himself of the couch. So funny!

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. These photos ooooh my goodness LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way she captures the light. I am instantly transported back to my own childhood! Isn't it wonderful how an image can do that?

    Thanks for sharing this talented photographer's work with us. I am going to check out her site and blog right now!

    Would love to get her to take photos of my two boisterous boys...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photographs ! And I am looking forward to Ginny Felch's new book also
    Thank you !

    Susan Monaghan
    Montclair, NJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my- THANK YOU and everyone for your kind words about my work. I just adore photography and children are my favorite subjects - They are so innocent and genuine and it's just so fun to capture them in their moment. The crazy kid 'flying' on the couch is one of my own boys of course - (lol).

    Ginny Felch has been such an inspiration and if it wasn't for her book and her mentoring, I know I would not have pursued photography as much as I have so far. Her book is truly wonderful and her next one will be better yet.

    Again - I'm so grateful that you've posted about me! As you know Kayla, my parents live in Montclair, NJ so I hope to come up and meet you soon! I love doing photo shoots in the Northeast - so many trees and so many pretty locations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh i love these. especially the one of the little boy jumping on the sofa! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. kids are so naturally exuberant and fun - she captures their essence perfectly in these beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. I've been privileged to "know" both Mary and Ginny via the world of internet connectivity the past coule of years and both are inspirations to me. Look forward to seeing the photos Mary takes of your children one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such dreamy light! These are stunning! And such a sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photography, such light!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just stumbled upon your blog from Pughes News. I love the picture of the little kid flying into the couch. All these pictures are amazing, they remind me of my own kids.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my gosh. the flying child is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing stuff. I like that flying child too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what sweet photos!!!

    i love how mary can so adeptly switch between capturing a soft, gentle childhood moment (as in the first lovely shot) to capturing a fun, energetic lively one (like the bouncy balls picture!)

    mmm so lovely :] thanks for sharing the pictures and the information about the updated book copy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can easily see why! My favorite is the black-and-white of the child jumping INTO the sofa.. like it's a deep, endless pool! There's joy in these photographs..

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.