18 July 2011

The Proposal (in Versailles, France)

We're back! I have so much to share over the coming weeks, but before I plunge in, please accept our most sincere thanks for all of your comments, emails, messages, texts, and phone calls about our happy news. Tiho and I feel an overwhelming amount of gratitude. Truly.

I am enjoying the process of editing the trip photos and will be blogging about the whole experience over the course of the next few weeks. It was life-changing for me and I can't wait to relive it here with all of you.

Shall we begin?

On our first full day in France, we ventured to Versailles. Even though we only had three days to spend in Paris, we agreed that fitting in a half-day trip to the iconic palace and gardens was a non-negotiable must. (Especially for Tiho, although of course, I didn't realize to what extent).

We managed to successfully navigate the Paris metro from our flat in Montmartre, and arrived in Versailles mid-morning. (It's about a 30 minute train ride from the center of the city). We stopped to admire the architecture before proceeding to the gardens. We had decided beforehand not to take a tour of the palace interior. I wish we had more time to do so, but we had to pick and choose our sightseeing priorities in order to best utilize our limited time.


I was completely stupified by the building facades. The palace exterior and grounds were rich with intricate detail. Positively awe-inducing.

We headed to the gardens and strolled aimlessly, simply taking it all in.



I felt so tiny wandering through the giant mazes of greenery. To think that Louis the XVI had this luxury as his backyard.



After a couple of hours of walking and exploring, we slowly meandered back in the direction of the palace. I wanted to photograph the incredible flowers near the front of the gardens and Tiho wanted to ask me to be his wife. (Ah!) In retrospect, I should have picked up on some of his peculiar behavior. During our exploration, he had a map of the garden in his hand and was intent on finding a particular fountain that he claimed was supposed to be "amazing." I thought it was adorable that he had researched fountains. Unfortunately, we couldn't find it due to several sections of the garden being closed. I wish I could convey the immense size of this place. We're talking massive, get-lost-every-five-minutes type of huge, so to me, a closed fountain didn't seem like that big of a deal.



By this point, the sun was high in the sky and it was hot. I was feeling like all I wanted was a cold drink of water and a place to sit down. Tiho was getting nervous that I was going to suggest leaving before he had a chance to do his thing. We found our way to the flower gardens so I could take some photos while he quickly reconfigured his "plan," since the specific locale he had in mind wasn't going to work out. (Obviously, I knew none of this until later).



Funny aside: apparently, when I was taking the above photos, he almost proposed. He told me after that fact that he liked how I was surrounded by flowers, but decided there were too many people around. (If possible, he wanted a spot where it was just the two of us). So, he convinced me to check out one last corner of the garden where it was "shadier" and "less hot." Begrudgingly, I obliged, but only for the promise of temperature relief. 

We walked a few more minutes and I admired the palace and felt relieved that we were out of direct sunlight thanks to a passing cloud. I crouched down next to a beautiful row of flowers to snap more photos when I heard scuffling behind me. I turned around, eager to show T the shot I had just captured (above) and almost dropped the camera.

I swear to God, the world seemed to stop.

Because there he was: down on one knee, holding a box with a ring. With a big smile, he looked up at me and asked, simply, "Will you marry me?" I screamed and squealed and started jumping up and down. "Yes!"

He slid the ring on my finger (oh, the ring!) and we immediately embraced. I should mention that my man can kiss. Like, whoa baby. In that moment though, those familiar kisses felt brand new. This person--this man I love so much it hurts--asked me to be his wife. He is going to be my husband. I can't describe that feeling.

After that, the sun could have exploded on me and I wouldn't have cared. We laughed and skipped and admired the ring before asking a random person to take our picture once we realized our self-timer attempts were hopeless. We then made our way to the gift shop to pick out something Versailles-specific to commemorate the occasion (a decorative plate).

The ring needs a little moment of its own. Bear with me. Tiho custom-designed it himself. He selected an art-deco style platinum setting and handpicked the actual diamond. I can't imagine anything else on my hand. He told me all of this afterward, as we giddily made our way back to Paris. He also informed me that before leaving for Europe, he had called my mom, my dad and my sister, as well as his own family, to tell them that he was planning to ask me to marry him.


As we were leaving Versailles, we turned back one last time and wistfully surveyed the vast landscape.  Tiho glanced at me and said, "That's why I did it here, you know. We'll always have this. This moment, this story. This reason to return to Paris."

And that, my dears, is one of the thousands of reasons why I love him.

I am deliriously happy and can't wait to continue to share our love story as we plan our wedding in the coming months.

P.S. Remember the surprise french picnic Tiho planned back in February? Foreshadow. 

28 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Kayla! What a beautiful story and what a plan on Tiho's part! Can't wait to talk more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. goosebumps!!! such a perfect story!!! i die!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO amazing...and way to go Tiho! Such a romantic setting, and the ring is gorgeous...and yes, you will always have a reason to go back, how sweet! I know exactly how you are feeling, and it is like flying...savor every minute! Congratulations again!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg congratssss!!! What a beautiful proposal!!! And the ring is amazing, so delicate like mines ;P hahaha. Just beautiful! Isnt breathtaking that second that you turn around and its like omg is this really happening? Its such a strong emotion that even as i type this i remember exactly how it was for us. CONGRATS AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am seriously all tears right now. What a beautiful story and I love that Tiho gave you both a reason to return to Paris over and over again. I'm so happy for you, Kayla -- and I can't wait to see that gorgeous ring in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears, there were tears in my eyes. What a beautiful story, engagement and lovely man.

    Congratulations to you both, I am so so happy for you Kayla.x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderfully romantic! Congratulation again and happy wedding planning! You make a lovely couple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. T's comment at the end- so heart swellingly beautiful. congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that is such a sweet story!!! Congratulations again, you guys are adorable!

    And I totally laughed at the part about his peculiar behavior, I remember after my husband proposed it was suddenly clear that he was acting super weird the whole morning but I didn't notice a thing while it was going on. You really have to feel for the boys sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww Tiho is the sweetest!! A lifetime of anniversary trips to Paris would be a dream :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely, I am utterly thrilled for you, my dear. Can't wait to meet this wonderful man of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your face looks exuberant. That's the face of the newly-engaged, newly-wed, and newly-mommas! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Kayla!! Ahh... I love your story! I'm so glad you told us every detail. Tiho sounds like quite the romantic (and he even customized the ring?! WOW!)! Gorgeous photos, love story, and couple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. He did SUCH a romantic job of the proposal! I was gripped to the whole story! As for designing the ring himself?! Way to go! Ahhhh, so happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, this is the sweetest! Like a scene from a movie. So so happy for you guys.

    My hub proposed at my college dorm. And I loved every bit of it, but Paris is a much better excuse for anniversary trips :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely the most perfect proposal, and the most amazing reason to do it in Versailles-"the reason to return to Paris". I'm swooning, he's so good.

    Congratulations for days, and I hope you'll call on me if you need anything advice!

    xoxoxoxoxox, Lena

    ReplyDelete
  17. major glee, excitement, leaping heart, so romantic! way to go tiho!
    joy, joy. joy sweetie! much love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  18. glad im sitting in india CRYING. this post made my heart burst and i am so flipping excited for the two of you. the coming months are going to be SO MUCH FUN planning your wedding and you know there are so many of us ready and willing to help you with any recommendations and advice (should you need it). :) the best part of course is marriage...its simply the greatest love i've ever known. xoxooxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kayla,
    Am on holiday at a cabin on a lake in the middle of nowhere, but there is wi-fi and I knew you were back home again so I had to come visit... and hurrah!!! Here's your proposal post, waiting for me! I love everything about it. That photo of you two after the proposal speaks volumes. Look at your smile!
    Congratulations, you two. I'm so happy for you!

    Will be home next week and look forward to getting back into regular blogging/commenting. Until then, keep on having a happy summer!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a lovely and memorable story. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations...what a lovely, memorable engagement story! How exciting!

    No pressure, but I can't wait to see your wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a beautiful engagement story :) I'm so glad that you had such an amazing trip and I can't wait to read & see more!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh geez, Kayla, it's 4:41 in the morning.. you just made me cry..

    Congratulations you guys! I mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh WOW, Kayla!

    What a wonderful story! Congrats to you both.

    The memories you'll have are priceless.

    xxxooo
    Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was blog-hopping and found yours (PS - I love it!). What beautiful pictures! It looks like you had an amazing time. And your engagement story is absolutely adorable! Congrats! Enjoy the wedding planning process - it goes by VERY quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Perfection. C'est tout!

    Congratulations to the two of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Kayla, this is too perfect! I now know that Tiho is worthy of your love ; ) Congratulations, you two!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. this post makes my heart so happy! I am so excited for the two of you and for all of us who get to follow along on your love story and now your wedding planning. Sending heaps of love to you and Tiho! xo

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.