26 July 2011

How To Spend An Afternoon in Paris


First, decide that you're going to behave like a local while acting like a tourist.

Pack a bag with a fresh baguette, cheese, french butter, grapes, chocolate, strawberries and a big bottle of wine. Forget the glasses or any real serving ware.

Hop on the metro and exit at a stop within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower, where you settle to enjoy your picnic.

Drink publicly, straight from the bottle. 

Eat absolutely everything and lick your fingers afterward. Lay on the grass and listen to the happy tune of an old man playing the acordian a few yards away. Take lots of photos.


Allow yourself minimal time to sober up after sharing an entire bottle of wine, and then start walking.

Admire the true blue dream of sky and spell-binding architecture. Consult the map, because you might be lost.

Accidentally find your way into the Tuileries Gardens. Feel excited that you stumbled upon one of the most famous landmarks in the city without the guidance of your map.

Take a few pictures of chairs.

Wander aimlessly. Experience a strong sense of joie de vivre, wholly inspired by the way your surroundings make you feel.

Continue walking until you come face to face with the Louvre. Decide that it is much nicer looking than the Met. Sorry, New York.

Snap several photos of the exterior and pretend like what they said in "The DaVinci Code" is true. Smile secretly, because you kind of believe it is.


Keep smiling and walking until your feet hurt and your whole body aches but you don't care a bit because you just spent another perfect afternoon traversing Paris.

15 comments:

  1. Haha, you crack me up--sounds (and looks) like the perfect Parisian afternoon! I'm with you--the Louvre is for sure more beautiful than the Met, and also 90% of most museums. After all, it was built for kings, truly...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh kayla, this looks like such a dreamy vacation. i think i literally swoon every time i read one of your fabulous paris posts. Swoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every single bit of this sounds heavenly, and exactly how I expect an afternoon in Paris to be... Le sigh!

    Have been looking through all your Paris posts that I missed while I was away and can I just say, "WOW!" What an amazing time you must have had. Even without the romantic proposal, pretty much perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure if there is anything much better than spending an afternoon like this in that beautiful city. Sounds like you did it quite down to the T- love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sigh...* just delightful.

    what kind of camera do you have? your pics are practically pro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @jes, thank you! I'm blushing. I shoot with a Nikon D3100 DSLR almost exclusively on manual or aperture settings. I love my camera and recommend it highly, especially for beginners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) I REALLY need to go back to Paris when it's actually sunny and warm! What a day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. paris!!! eeek! it looks lovely, as do you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling, this couldn't be a more perfect day! I love the picnic, and your happy discovery of the Tuileries Gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kayla, this afternoon is perfect. I particularly love the first rule. I think that's precisely right. And wandering aimlessly has always taken me to the most fantastic places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos are killing me. I have *such* Paris envy! I want to go so badly in November during the days off for teachers but my husband doesn't have enough days to take off:( Your photos are truly gorgeous and give such a feel for the city.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love this post. everything sounds just perrrfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wandering aimlessly through the streets is my favorite way to explore Paris! and even better after some wine ;) I am LOVING your vacation posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is ridiculously awesome. You are so funny, Kayla!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. lick your fingers afterward :) thats my favorite--and so so french.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.