09 June 2011

My 3A


"Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you.
And though they are with you, they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
Which you cannot visit, even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth...
Let your bending in the archer's hands be for happiness."

-Khalil Gibran

A poem for parents, and, I think, a poem for teachers. A poem for me, today, as I say goodbye to my magic children. My heart feels like it is going to burst out of my chest. I am hollow and whole at the same time. 3A, you are light, you are love, you are everything. I miss you already.

*For those who inquired yesterday, this goodbye is indeed harder than most. In April, I accepted a wonderful position at a new school for the upcoming academic year. While I am overjoyed, it doesn't make saying goodbye to my kids, my colleagues and my friends any easier.

11 comments:

  1. Sending you hugs today...what a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures, and cute kids.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, so bittersweet! and what a magical quote. wishing you the best today... and yes, PLEASE do email me after your trip!! I would love to hear your thoughts & recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you a big hug, Kayla! I have said my fair share of good-byes and have had to leave schools and families I've loved, so I can imagine how you feel today.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. so precious! goodbyes are so hard. you are in my thoughts, my dear!

    and I've been hearing of the crazy heat over there, hope you are staying cool!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just teared up in Starbucks reading this post. You know why? Because nevermind the touching words of the poem, it's the photos that tell the story. It's so evident from them just how much you care for the kids. Those early years are so important, and I really think your teachers during that time make such an impression on your views of the world and how you see things. What a great role model you are - darn, this world needs more Kayla Pooles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos, that poem, and this post are all so sweet and beautiful. Big hug to you, Kayla!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should send you a copy of something you might just love-an a cappella setting of "On Children" we sang back in the day. They'll miss you, too, and you have had an enormous impact on each and every one-believe me.


    All my love, Lena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heartwarming and heartrending at the same time. I'm sure, years of now, your students there will remember their beautiful teacher and the sunshine she brought in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. brought me to tears sweetie, however, your imprint of love and dedication will forever be left in their hearts, i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ah! i love this quote. khalil gibran is such a beautiful writer. and what he says is so true. cant wait to see what your new adventures hold in store for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.