23 March 2011

Ana Montiel


Ana Montiel is a London-based Spanish visual artist and designer whose work resonates with me in a profound way. As an early childhood educator, I am continuously amazed at the beautiful intricacy that manifests with the manipulation of common shapes. Add color to the pattern and I'm transfixed. In her ongoing "Visual Mantras" project, Ana "explores repetitive drawing as a meditation itself and has developed a series of absorbing and richly colored geometries based upon the cyclical and rhythmic flow of life."

I am fascinated by her work, particularly this study, and am hoping to purchase one of her prints soon (I just can't decide which!). If you'd like to do the same, or learn more about her, you can visit her website, blog, and shop. Additional prints are available at the Little Paper Planes online artist gallery for $35. Of further interest? Miss Montiel's limited special edition artist book, entitled "Visual Mantras," available here.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely! I always love to see experiments with shapes and colors. And it does appeal to something rooted in childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her work is really stunning, especially because there's such dimension in the simplicity. Something about her pieces is so calming too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i need the first piece! love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful work, the colours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandi, I agree completely. I'm so mesmerized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have trouble making colored pencils look like i'm not in grade school but these are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful colors. and they feel so vibrant and delicate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, these are stunning. I'm especially in love with the third one down- the pooling pigment bleeding between the colors of the squares are just what my Sunday needed. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.