04 November 2010

Happiness Weapon



When I saw these incredible paintings by Dale Frank, I was immediately reminded of the following Robert Fulghum quote. It's one of my favorites:

"Maybe we should develop a Crayola bomb as our next secret weapon. A happiness weapon. A beauty bomb. And every time a crisis developed, we would launch one. It would explode high in the air - explode softly - and send thousands, no millions of little parachutes into the air. Floating down to earth...boxes of Crayolas. 

And we wouldn’t go cheap, either; no, not little boxes of eight. Boxes of sixty-four, with the sharpener built right in. With silver and gold and copper, magenta and peach and lime, amber and umber and all the rest. And people would smile and get a little funny look on their faces and cover the world with imagination." 

How awesomely epic would that be? I simultaneously feel like laughing and crying just thinking about it because of how badly our world needs it. 

(Dale Frank discovered on Oh Joy!)

4 comments:

  1. Aw, that made me tear up! Such a lovely idea!!
    And I adore those paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla, this is one of my favorite quotes, from one of my favorite authors! Growing up, my dad represented him and I loved going into New York to hear him speak-he is as inspirational to me now as he was when I was 11!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE these paintings and i love the idea of a Crayola bomb. especially the bit about the sharpener built right into the box. the quote is perfectly paired with those images. bravo lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em, aw, you are too sweet :)

    Lena, that is super cool cool! He is so inspirational.

    Kimia, I also think that one line really makes it!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.