01 November 2011

Back to Basics



I've been thinking about technology lately. Specifically, the never-ending internal battle that rages over "how much is too much." Do you sometimes look at the clock and realize you've been on the computer for five straight hours? Do you fear that your children won't feel as excited as you remember feeling about owning your first library card? I do.

On the other hand, the advances in the field of technology amaze me. Look how far our world has come. The other night, I video-skyped with my mom in China...from my phone. Every day, I am able to share my stories and photos with hundreds of people from around the globe in this space. If a wrong turn is made while driving, I can redirect the route on the GPS in approximately 10 seconds. Life offers more complexity now, but also more accessibility. Is that such a bad thing?

I'm never quite sure how to strike an appropriate balance relative to both my consumption of technology and my thoughts about it. Our world is changing. It's going to keep changing. Shouldn't we embrace that? And yet, there's always that little voice telling me to leave it. Let it go for awhile. Unplug. Do it the old-fashioned way.

What's your take?

(Awesome "Silence TV" art prints by Gianmarco Magnani, $18 each. More here).

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you, it's such a struggle...I marvel in it, and worry we will lose the old fashioned excitements. Well written Kayla...I think finding the right balance is key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John and I got into a huge debate Thursday night over precisely this topic. While I think technology can bring so much more to our lives than we could have dreamed of, I worry about the future of handwriting, to say nothing of letters. I worry that making it easier to communicate has made us less communicative. I guess we all have to find our balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I may... I think the concern expressed here is that the new technology will replace the old joys we knew and loved, and that we and our kids will no longer derive pleasure from the simple things. But new things can be added to old things, they don't always have to take their place. I love my iphone and my vintage bicycle... playing in the park with the dog and checking up on my favourite blogs. It's all in the balance. So crank up your Mp3s and bust out the scrabble board if you're feeling insecure about the whole thing - you're sure to have a great time!

    It's a pleasure to *meet* your blog!

    - Catherine @ The Spring

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Catherine, thanks so much for such a thoughtful comment and welcome!. You articulated exactly where I'm at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My problem with new technology added to old joys is that it takes up too much time. There is only so much we can fit in a day and with the endless information and entertainment from the web and phone, little time is left for a handwritten letter or a note. True, it takes longer, hence it's frequently replaced. I'm from the "old" generation but not ashamed of it. And yes, I love my phone and laptop and blogs and tv...and it's a constant struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what Lena said - "I worry that making it easier to communicate has made us less communicative." It is such a struggle. I don't have the answer but I definitely share the same thoughts. Sometimes it seems that so many things I want to accomplish involve more time on my computer. But at the same time I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.