27 September 2011

What Dreams Are Made Of

I look forward to our annual trip to the apple orchard more than almost anything else in life. Every year, I temporarily convince myself that I'd love to own and operate an apple farm of my own, if only for the promise of unlimited mulled cider and a true bounty worth of seasonal fruit.


After an afternoon of walking, climbing, picking and hauling, I am reminded that I don't really love dirt, sweat or any form of manual labor for more than a few hours at a time. A lousy farmer I would make.

It's one of those dreams that percolates. When I picture the life I hope to build for my family, I imagine my children running barefoot through wildflower fields. I want them to recognize and appreciate the transcendent taste of a freshly-plucked September apple.

I don't know where we'll end up or the environment in which we'll raise our children. But, I know that we create the lives we lead based on dreams that maturate inside our very core. With every autumnal visit to the orchard, I remember where my dreams begin. And that's something.



(This year, we went to Masker Orchards in Warwick, New York. Highly recommended if you enjoy breath-taking valley views, acre upon acre of tree variety, and a country store packed to the brim with  every apple product imaginable).

15 comments:

  1. So beautiful Kayla, the couple, your dreams and all those delicious apples :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, beautiful spot. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pic are great! I'm counting down the days until we go to the orchard. Such a fun time of year.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. And THIS is why I adore your blog so very much...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am positively green with envy-SF has no fall foliage, and even though we're brewing apple cider, I so miss those trips to the apple orchard! Thank you for taking me with you-I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful post...on apples AND dreams :)

    (PS. Is than an anthro tee I spot on you? I love that one.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos Kayla and it looks like a picture perfect place. I completely agree with you over the few hours manual labour though and that is coming from a woman who is married into a farming family!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful place and very nice pics! It's so good to read your blog...full of grace ans sensitivity!
    Beijo (kiss in portuguese)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would also make a lousy farmer, ha! Don't give up on your dream though, it sounds lovely...and that orchard is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post, words, and images! It reminds me of my Awenda/sanctuary post that Brandi shared not too long ago. I can't believe it's already fall.. time is going by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Alli- good eye! It is indeed from Anthro...one of my favorites.

    @ everyone - thank you all for the kind words. You are so nice to me: I feel blessed to have the readers I do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love apple picking! loved the photos, it looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I reeeally want to go apple picking this fall - will definitely have to check out this orchard!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGOMGOMG YOURE GETTING MARRIED TOMORROW. and i love apples. XOXOXO.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.