16 September 2011

A Weekend in Varna

I had big plans for my Bulgaria photos. There's so much I want to share from our trip this summer. But, time is precious these days: I cannot believe two months have passed since we returned to the U.S.

Before another two slip by, I figure I should at least attempt to showcase this batch from our weekend in Varna. We visited Tiho's extended family there and I fell in love with the candy-colored buildings and turquoise sea.







The real highlight for me was the night we all went out to dinner at an authentic Bulgarian restaurant, complete with traditional Bulgarian folk dancers and fire walkers. I learned how to do "the horo" circle dance and ate like an absolute glutton.







Still kind of blows my mind that I gain European Union citizenship in a couple of weeks. All of this amazing culture becomes my own simply by signing my name at city hall. Crazy!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't even realize you'd be an EU citizen.. exciting! And that building on the right in the second photo... wowowow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might sound a bit odd..but I've always wanted to learn a cultural dance like the "horo"! Love the candy colored buildings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you get eu citizenship!? totaaallly didnt even think bout that!! BRILLIANT. and are you learning any bulgarian? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're gonna need to know how to play horo! It's the staple of every Bulgarian wedding, New Year's and major celebration in general. Did they tell you they play 17-minute long versions of the song at weddings and see who's the most durable on the dance floor? (Ok, ok, I don't know the EXACT length they play but it is reeaaally long and you burn all calories that you eat and drink at the wedding!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are beautiful! And with your new EU citizenship, it will be all yours to enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you've been back for 2 whole months, or that soon you'll be a married lady! Do you also get an new EU passport? Soon you'll be the chic European we're all jealous of when you stroll through customs in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The restaurant looks incredible and such a wonderful setting. Your final meal has just made me feel hungry too. Hope you have a good weekend even if you are not in Europe!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Is it just as easy as signing your name?

    I am doing basically the same thing as you..In november I am getting married in Australia and in 2013 I'll be having the "real" wedding in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice pictures!traveling is the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, a beach holiday! That looks beautiful, and a great set of photos too.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.