24 August 2011

On Kindess, Kitchen Tables & Goodbyes


On the cape last weekend, my 83-year-old grandmother made the following proclamation at Sunday brunch: "For a long time, I believed intelligence was the most important thing. Now, I know it's kindness."

I wonder what I'll believe 60 years from now. I already agree with her on that one.

The photos are recent iPhone snaps of my kitchen table. Always a peaceful place for me, especially lately.

We put my mom on a plane to China last night. I'm thrilled for her and her upcoming year of adventure but can't suppress a twinge of anxiety: a year feels like a long time and I will miss her.

10 comments:

  1. Wishing safe travels for your mom and some peace of mind for you!

    I love that quote from your grandma - I feel like that is something my dad has taught me over the years, without ever putting into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your grandma, too. Kindness goes a long way...

    Hope your mom has a wonderful & safe trip!

    Happy Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow..such an adventure for your Mom! Might you be able to visit her at some point? I agree with your grandmother-kindness is so important in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling, your grandmother is a wise woman who has clearly rubbed off on you. And your little kitchen table looks like a slice of heaven I can't wait to visit.

    xox, Lena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandmother is one smart cookie. :) I wish your mother the best of luck and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely agree with your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahh so excited for your mom and all the amazing adventures in store for her. (and for you! vicarious living anyone?) also agree with lena 100%. your grams has clearly rubbed off on you. best lesson ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, the women in your life sound amazing. such great wisdom from your grandma, and what an exciting thing for your mom to head off to china for a year! i find them both to be incredibly inspiring just from these snippets of information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Safe travels wishes to your mom!

    And can I borrow your grandmother some time? She sounds like she'd be a fascinating lady to talk to. I think my grandmother knew things like that but never said them. I wish I could ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great wisdom from your grandma, safe travel tp your mom.... nice Kitchen Tables

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.