04 July 2011

Surprise Guest Post (By Emma!)



Hello bloggers! I've been wanting to do a guest post for a while now, but wasn't sure what I could come up with that would be nearly as interesting as the material that Kay seems to find. Low and behold, I found inspiration in the form of a departure. Although I am not a blogger myself, I am the proud sister of a very talented one (as I think all of you would agree!).  Kayla and Tiho recently left on their 3-week Eurotrip, and as I sit here on their couch, I cannot help but think how grateful I am to have Kayla in my life.

 For those of you who don't know, I just graduated college in May, and K and T so graciously took me into their home, offering me their guest bedroom--for free--for as long as I need it. I feel forever indebted to them (in a good way). Living here thus far has been nothing but wonderful. I love having my sister around, especially since when I was in Ithaca, we would not see each other for months at a time. I often come home from work at the end of the day and am greeted with a huge smile, a homemade dinner, or some (amazing) cupcakes that Kay picked up at the store. For no reason at all. I think most of you can probably tell by her blog, but my sister is one of kindest and most inspiring people that I know. Ever since I was little, I always wanted to be like her. She was born 2 years and 11 months before me. Sometimes, those 3 years seem nonexistent, as if we are one person, finishing each others sentences, and understanding one another in a way that no one else possibly can. But, for the most part, those 3 years embody the incredible bond between two sisters; that of the mentor (Kayla), and the student (myself).

We have a home video of Kayla and me dancing around our living room to classical music, with my mother coaxing us in the background to "say hi" to the camera. My sister is proudly standing in her recital costume, tight bun on head and a huge gap-toothed smile towards the camera. I am all done up in a dress and bun as well, however, I would not be performing that day. My mother enrolled me in ballet when I was 3 years old, and after a few stubborn tantrums about how boring I thought it was, she let me quit. Kayla, on the other hand, took to it beautifully, and danced for years afterward. My lack of interest in ballet did not stop me from wanting to do everything my sister did, though. On that recital day in the living room, you can see me dancing with a bun on my head, arms up in the air just like my sister and looking back at Kayla to see if I was copying her moves just right. This memory is one of many that exemplifies what it is like to have a sister who is your entire world.

A few things you may not know about Kayla:

1. She is obsessed with feta cheese. Literally puts it on everything. I make fun of her for it all the time (Although who doesn't love feta?).
2. She is deathly afraid of spiders and snakes.
3. Sephora should endorse her for a red lipstick ad campaign. I have never met someone who owns so many shades of one color.
4. She does not really enjoy massages (what??).
4. She gives the best presents.
5. She has the cutest, pint-sized feet. (Size 6).
6.) She is probably the most sensitive person I know, in a good way. Maybe this is why I am also sensitive, because I learned from the best.
7. People always think she is younger than me, which is most likely due to our height difference:  I am 5' 3" whereas Kayla just barely hits 5'.
8.) As a child, Kay was always the dramatic one, wanting to act in plays, and sing for everyone. Somewhere deep down though, she was destined to be a teacher. She's just too good at it.
9.) She is my rock, my role model, and the apple of my eye.

Kayla, my dearest big sister, whom I adore so much, thank you for your spirit, your generosity, your beautiful smiley self, and most of all, for being you in everything that that statement means. You inspire me on a daily basis, and I am so blessed to have you in my life.

Love always,

Your bean,

Emma

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely, lovely guest post! Nice to meet you, Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute post! I also lurv Feta and have tiny feet :)

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, sincere post, Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw, what a super sweet post!! and i don't like massages either, yet another thing kayla and i have in common. i think i need to take a trip out to the east coast soon and meet this fabulous gal in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet, great to "meet" you Emma...I am truly loving getting to know your sis via the internet, hope to meet her in person someday soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right! She is wonderful through and through and it shows in her blog. You sound so wonderfully sweet and loving as well. You're very lucky to have each other :)

    She doesn't like massages?! Do tell her to pass on those massage certificates if she ever gets 'em.. I'll gladly take 'em off her hands..

    Have a happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, it's nice to "meet" you, Emma! This is the sweetest thing I've ever read from one sister to another and it makes me wish I had a sister. Thank you for sharing with all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post-Kayla, I hope you'll think about adding Emma as a contributor from time to time! Hope you guys are having an absolutely AMAZING trip, and I can't wait to hear all about it!

    xoxox, Lena

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.