18 May 2011

Vessels



Bottles, bowls and baskets are endlessly inspiring to me. I love the stylistic possibilities they bring to a space.

I acquired the hummingbird bowl on our most recent trip to Ithaca. We were exploring a beautiful pottery shop and I was immediately attracted to the bold yellow and, of course, the hummingbird in flight. The elephant basket was given to me by the music teacher at school. A few weeks ago, she caught me gazing adoringly during one of her sessions with my kids and said, "this is something you will appreciate more than I do, so here you go."  It currently sits proudly next to my desk at home holding a 12-pack of unopened bubbles. The trio of collected bottles live on a small end table in the living room. I love the way the late afternoon light filters through them.

Do you collect various vessels? I never realized I did until I stopped to look around.

6 comments:

  1. I definitely collect vessels. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a potter or because I just love useful things, but either way I'm so attracted to them. I don't usually fill them, I like to leave them set with enough white space around them that you can appreciate their lines and simplicity. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both! I LOVE bottles. I've been collecting for a while now and use them religiously throughout my studio. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely-that hummingbird bowl is just gorgeous! John and I have a larger than I realized mason jar collection-we store vanilla extracts, tomato sauces, and even cooking utensils in them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old mason jars. Especially the ones with the greenish tinge to the glass. I like to fill them with flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute cute cute! Love that you call them vessels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That elephant is just too cute! What a fun and festive piece to use this summer

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.