21 March 2011

The Point of This


Recently, I've found myself thinking about the reasons why I started this blog and the reasons why I continue to blog. I think part of the introspection relates to an on-going struggle in finding balance between blogging purely as a creative hobby (which is all it is at this point), a full-time job, graduate school, and my personal life.

The truth is, maintaining exquisite banana brings me happiness. I share bits of my own life, thoughts and stories, a variety of odds and ends that loosely fall under the category of "art, design & lifestyle;" anything that brings me joy, really, with the hopes that these delights will spark a smile in someone else.

Sometimes, I wrestle with the idea of turning this space into a completely personal one. I admire blogs that are 100% original in their approach; blogs that only post their own photography and are completely void of any sort of product endorsement. But, I really enjoy having this space to catalog inspiration in addition to my own personal contributions. Also, due to the nature of my work, lots of things that bring me pleasure cannot be shared online in order to uphold the privacy of my students, colleagues, family and friends. I strive to find a comfortable balance, and feel confident that I've always brought my own voice, opinions, and truest self into this online world.

And you know what? For me, that's it. That's what this is all about. Authenticity--and a creative platform to share it. I'm not going anywhere. This space--and all of of you--are a part of my life. When I need to take time and step away to reflect, think and just live, I know you're rooting me on. Thank you for your continued support and friendship.  I am always grateful.

The following quotation characterizes what I'm trying to say here (not just today, but everyday). In a way, it defines my motivation for blogging. Maybe it rings true for you too?

"The majority of us lead quiet, unheralded lives as we pass through this world. There will most likely be no ticker-tape parades for us, no monuments created in our honor. But that does not lessen our possible impact, for there are scores of people waiting for someone just like us to come along; people who will appreciate our compassion, our unique talents. Someone who will live a happier life merely because we took the time to share what we had to give. Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have a potential to turn a life around. It’s overwhelming to consider the continuous opportunities there are to make our love felt." -Leo Buscaglia

(image is my own, taken in Montauk, NY a couple of years ago)

P.S. Scenes from the weekend coming tomorrow.

15 comments:

  1. This was a lovely post, Kayla, and I'm so glad you decided to write it and share it with us. Often times I feel the same way about my blog. It may never become "big", but even that one person I've touched is more than enough. I'm so glad I started my blog and have met some truly amazing people like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often think about the conflictions of other interests that happen because of my blog, so this post is really interesting to read.

    My blogging space is a place for me to indulge - unforgivingly - in the things that I love, and those things that inspire me. But most of all, it's given me the chance to meet like minded people who share similar views and asthetics in the world, that before I didn't know. For that, I'm seriously grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quote! Couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote, Kayla, and I love your blog.

    Keep doing what you're doing. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fantastic post, and sums up so much of what I think most bloggers want to say. Yes, those blogs that feature exclusively their own content are amazing, but I blog so that someone else can get a tickle out of what I adore-and sometimes, that stuff isn't my own.

    You are such an amazing woman, Miss Poole.

    xo, Lena

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful. i couldn't agree more and struggle with all those thoughts myself. at the end of the day, i feel like having a blog has just enriched my life so much. i never could have imaged all the wonderful people i'd meet (ehem) and connections id make. that buscaglia quote is right on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. don't you dare change a thing! I am so inspired by your wonderful finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well written post Kayla. I fully agree with you and have been working through similar issues - wondering if I should stick to my own original content or focus more on promoting others, etc.
    Ultimately I ask myself, am I blogging with a purpose? When I read Exquisite Banana, I leave feeling like you've done just that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kay, this is beautiful. You're beautiful. I hope you know that all my mild pokes about blogging are only in fun and mean no harm. I think it is AMAZING, and I am so proud of you for everything. You inspire me on a daily basis, and I'm lucky to have you as my sister.

    To all of Kayla's fellow bloggers--Thank you for taking the time to read Kayla's blog and become a part of her life. She is the best sister EVER!!

    xoxoxo

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my longest blogging friends, I am so pleased to have met you and it is blogging that keeps us in touch. I love youur blog and I am so pleased it brings you pleasure. I completely relate to what you say, and I agree that even if you made just 1 person's life better, your life has been worth living. :-)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Kayla, and I contemplate the same issues...thank you for sharing! I am also incredibly grateful for the connections I've made blogging...and you are one of them of course! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kayla, I could relate to so much of what you wrote in this post. Blogging makes me happy, especially because it gives me a perfect way of unplugging from schoolwork. The odd thing though is that this week, I've just wanted to unplug completely. I feel like right now that might be the best way for me to be authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much, everyone. I wasn't even sure it made sense when I wrote it, but I felt like I had to get it out. I appreciate your unwavering support! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great thoughts, Kayla. I'm at a similar point too. The reality is it takes up a lot of our time to keep it up! So it's good to reevaluate. I'm so glad you're here : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the reason why I followed you in the first place. There is thought here, and genuine affection for your readers. There's also joy and inspiration, and we all need that. It resonates with us.

    Love the quote..very true.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.