24 February 2011

Newly Acquired: Original Michelle Armas Painting


I will spend money on original art. To me, it's worth saving for and splurging on. If you've read this blog for more than five minutes, you know I am a huge fan of Michelle Armas. Ever since I first discovered her work about a year ago, I've been harboring a desperate desire to own an original. Hands down, she is one of my favorite artists. She usually paints large canvases that sell for over $1,000. Worth it? Yes. In my current price range? Sadly, no.


But low and behold, Michelle recently began selling smaller paintings (12x12 and 18x18 canvases) in her shop for just $100 and $200. I missed out on the first batch by seconds (they all sold quickly) but promised myself I would try and acquire something in the next shop update.


The worldly powers work in divine ways, because I probably would have missed out again, had it been a typical Monday. As luck would have it, Michelle sent out her shop update email on President's day, and since I was home, I hopped over to my computer, surveyed the merchandise (all amazing) and bought myself an original painting.

Here she is in all her glorious, colorful splendor. Her name is "Kelley:"


I felt my heart beating absurdly fast as I waited for the payment to clear. When I received the receipt, I stood up and did a pseudo-tap dance (I was barefoot). No lie. I was that excited.

And so begins my official collection of original paintings. I plan to add to it over the months and years in order to fill my home with as much creative beauty as I am able. I made it a resolution back in January and am thrilled I maintained this promise to myself.

I partially wrote this post to convey the accessibility of art collecting. I realize that $100 isn't exactly chump change. For some, that's a lot of money to spend on one thing (myself included). But, I do believe that when planned for and managed properly--especially for something you love--you can make it work. I am also a major proponent of scouring for original pieces at flea markets and supporting local & independent artists and designers. That's why I love Etsy so much.

Be sure to check out Michelle's shop to browse original paintings, prints, and commissioned work, and visit her inspiring blog for a daily dose of awesome. (All paintings featured in this post are $100 canvases).

14 comments:

  1. Ooh I love it! We've taken the same tactic of buying smaller pieces of artists that we love...it's a great start to a collection. Plus, you can always group small pieces! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love her stuff!!! how could your day not start out right with a cup of coffee and seeing her art hanging in your house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful. I love the vibrant colours! It would make me happy seeing it on my walls.

    Good purchase! And I'm with you on Etsy. It's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yey for buying art - I can't wait to start my own collection. My savings are nowhere near in sight. One day.... *drifts of dreaming*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelley is beautiful, so exciting to have a piece you are that excited about!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your philosophy on investing in pieces you truly love, and making room for it in your budget. So worth it, even if it DOES take patience :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. look at you little miss art collector extraordinaire!!! i am SO excited for you and cannot wait to see this baby hanging in your lovely home :) she is truly such a beautiful painter. i should email her about a trade. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I love that it's all yours!

    I'll admit, most of the art in our house was either purchased by John back when "his" bank account was financed by mom and dad, or pieces that my parents have "on loan" in our "home gallery". I'll tell you this-the large painting over our bed is never going back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i got three small ones for christmas and LOVE THEM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this lovely shout out! I am so glad you got to buy a piece and that you will love it. I am going to pait waaaay more small pieces so that more people can share the love :) Can't wait to see where you hang it in your great place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle, I couldn't help it...you are superbly talented. Looking forward to new pieces (I'll be adding to my collection!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kayla, this is such great advice!! Good for you, what a gorgeous original painting : ) I know your collection will be stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.