04 August 2011

Lately...

Light summer dinners, leisurely evening strolls and quiet sunlit mornings spent putting thoughts onto paper...

 ...Quality time with my sister, birthday celebrations, topknots and breakfast in bed.

 ...Reading in the afternoon, a farmer's market packed refrigerator, coffee in fine china, and seeking beauty in function.

Spa dates, NYC in the summer, lunching with friends, and happy additions to our art collection.


Can't complain right now. I'm doing my best to cherish the slowness of summer as we merge seamlessly into its finality with the arrival of August.

Speaking of which, I'm having a bit of difficulty creating a work-from-home routine that keeps me both inspired and productive. The new school year is less than five weeks away and while I'm keen on maintaining this slower pace, there's a lot of prep that needs to get done between now and then. Tips? I'm easily distracted, especially in my own living room.

(All photos taken with Instagram for iPhone. You can find my full feed here).

11 comments:

  1. your summer is looking quite enjoyable...fun, meaningful and memorable. for tips, not sure i have any other than...the work may have to find a way to co-exist with the lovely, leisure days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these photos make me happy :) and as for getting distracted... I can't get anything done without lists. When the tasks are too big, I break them up into more manageable bits. I also include fun things on the list... like "read two stories" or "go to happy hour".

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might be silly but I was just talking about focusing at home the other day with my boyfriend and he told me he read a study somewhere that if you work from home, it helps if you wear work clothes and shoes. It sounds silly but sort of makes sense in a way that you are not totally comfortable in your comfortable home, thus you get a sense that you can't just slack around and do the things you usually do in PJs at home. Here is an article that dwell more on this: http://www.jobacle.com/blog/dressing-up-to-work-at-home-am-i-nuts.html

    I hope it helps! I certainly have the worst self-discipline out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to buy waaay too much produce from the market--it all looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loooovely photos, my dear. looks like you are having quite a beautiful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a dreamy life you've been living! :) i totally have a hard time working in my "relaxing" or "living" spaces. for me it was helpful to plan in my classroom, but i know some schools won't let teachers in over the summer. maybe you can find another "work" environment like a college library? {i prefer college libraries because they often feel cleaner and make me feel extra focused.}

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is all so impossibly lovely-I'm so glad you're enjoying the summer, even if working from home isn't necessarily as productive as you'd hope. I try to schedule blocks where I have to be working, or tasks to complete each day, or by the end of a given week-it's so easy to get distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun summer! Of course, I love the snaps as well - the colourful balloons made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great collage of good summer things! I especially love the breakfast in bed (the white ceramic birds caught my eye.. cute!), the top knot, spa treatments (I'm overdue for one!) and coffee in fine china.

    Too bad I can't give you any tips.. I'm easily distracted myself. I should be reading bio stuff at this moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm at a similar place...always distracted and doing 10 things at once! Sometimes I have to stop and realize that I'm doing too much and laugh. I just downloaded Evernote in an attempt to stay organized and on task (while on the computer!)...I think it might help!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.