28 August 2011

That's A lot of Water







When I woke up this morning, I thought the highly anticipated hurricane Irene hadn't done much damage when it hit NJ during the night. Our power was on, windows were intact and a peek out the window conveyed mostly blue skies.

Then, my sister and I went for a walk and saw the flooding. There are sections of the neighborhood where parked cars are almost entirely submerged and the high school football field is under 4 feet of water. The small creek running through town quadrupled in size and now has a current that would probably drown someone if they fell in. Standing on the bridge above it in order to take a few photos made my heart race.

I feel extraordinarily lucky that our home escaped unscathed but am humbled by the damage surrounding me. It is moments like these where the reality of nature's power truly sinks in.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so sad to hear your town is like this. =( Hopefully things will get back to normal for you guys soon. It's kind of a good thing that school hasn't started yet, otherwise that would suck even more.

    But these are really great photos you snapped. At first I thought they were taken from a news site. You really got up close with some of these shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's amazing. Glad to hear you are alright. I would be a nervous wreck!

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you're okay! I was thinking positive thoughts for all of you over there

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeechs, it looks pretty bad. i'm definitely grateful we were ok over here too. hope the neighborhood recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. It's hard to believe that happened overnight...

    I'm so glad your home wasn't damaged and that you're all okay. My thoughts are with the people who weren't so lucky.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how much flooding could happen in just a few hours! I am so glad you guys are ok, and I am sending love to those in your town who were not as lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you are ok but sorry to see such sights on your shots. That creek certainly looks rather scarily quick moving. Hope things can be cleared up soon.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy jesus. All the homes on the lake in my little hometown are absolutely flooded-contractors I'm sure are hearing little register sounds when they think of all the first floors that have to be rebuilt. Oh boy. Glad you guys are safe and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG these photos are crazy! So happy to hear you and your family are okay!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.