02 March 2010

Globe Collection


Several weeks ago, I wrote this post, where I briefly pondered what I was interested in "collecting" from places like antique shops and flea markets. Ironically, not long after that, I stumbled upon a gorgeous vintage globe in Idlewild Books, one of my favorite travel book stores in Manhattan.

Despite the $60 price tag, I was seriously taken with this globe. I loved the sepia colors and the unusual wrought-iron stand. The shopkeeper must have thought I was nuts though, because I proceeded to pace the small store for a good thirty minutes (returning to the globe every four or five minutes in order to examine the details and try to decide whether I really needed it or not).

In the end, I bought it, and unofficially started my collection of vintage globes.

I have always been fascinated with maps, but really really horrible at reading them (you know, for directions). I prefer the types of decorative maps that hang on the wall, the ones that allow you to stick different colored pushpins into the places you've been and the places you still yearn to see. Here is an awesome one, if you're interested. As for globes, the sheer interactivity they provide fascinates me to no end, and I think they make lovely decor almost anywhere.

Anyway, I love globes and maps because I love to travel. One of the first things my boyfriend ever said to me was that he "would rather spend his money on memories than on things." I think I fell in love with him right then and there. So, I'm pretty sure he'll be okay with me dropping some moolah on a collection of "objects" that can only inspire us to plan a collection of "memories," don't you think? :)

(Image credit unknown)

1 comment:

  1. I'm also fascinated by globes and maps, because travel is an important part of my life. Whenever I see a globe I think of a library or a personal study filled with books.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave them.